Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Book Review: The Monk


Source: Amazon.com
The Monk, by Matthew Lewis

From the book’s cover:

Set in the sinister monastery of the Capuchins in Madrid, The Monk is a violent tale of ambition, murder, and incest. The great struggle between maintaining monastic vows and fulfilling personal ambitions leads its main character, the monk Ambrosio, to temptation and the breaking of his vows, then to sexual obsession and rape, and finally to murder in order to conceal his guilt. The only edition of this key gothic novel available, The Monk now offers a new introduction and notes that make it especially accessible to the modern reader.

The review:

Well, I can see why people read The Monk back when it was written in the late 18th century.  When Lewis was on, he was really on.  For instance, the scenes he paints of being waylaid by deceiving bandits on a lonely highway outside Salzburg, or the tale of the Bloody Nun who haunts a Germanic castle and foils a romantic plot between two star-crossed lovers, or the disquieting heart of the story - the machinations of our abbot as he falls from grace into debauchery and evil...  Good stuff!  Very exciting, and probably pretty shocking in its time.  Heck, The Monk was still pretty heated in places, even for contemporary reading.  I kept wondering if the titular monk was gonna "ravish" the young woman his lustful eyes finally lock on to.  Lewis had a talent for keeping his reader in suspense.

The author, Matthew Gregory Lewis. / Source: Wikipedia.org

The fore-material of the book, which almost made me stop reading before I even got ten pages in, said that Lewis's material was not "new" in his own time, though he took a lot of ideas and mixed them together into a real page-turner (for the time).  I'd agree with that sentiment.  The plot isn't fresh, by today's standards anyway.  But it is exciting and, as I have alluded, there were places where I was glued to the tale, anxious to find out what would happen next.  Reminded me of a writer's advice lecture I once listened to where the lecturer said he had once been told by a noted author that he should (and I'm paraphrasing here) "have the damsel in distress up in a scary castle and the hero is going out of his mind to go rescue her because she is in mortal or physical or her honor is in danger every second."  The essence of that statement was that you should keep the reader wanting to turn pages, and that's how you'd make money.

Then again, the fore-material said Lewis was a well-off guy, and never had to work hard to write to earn his supper.  And I gather he was somewhat anti-Catholic, though that is not surprising, based on the time period and the association of his name being English (I'm guessing here; I could look it up easily enough, I suppose).  Luckily, a book I read previously (and didn't like too much; see my review of Brother Odd) prepared me for some of the Catholic church stuff, so that wasn't too traumatic for a non-Catholic twenty-first century person such as myself.

The caption of this image is probably the most fascinating part of it.  Yes, I'd certainly agree that The Monk was "gruesome, violent and salacious." / Source: jasa.com.au

Back to my point about Lewis's writing.  He really lays it on.  The wording is drawn out and gets to be a bit thick at times.  And this slows down the plot in places.  The beginning was dragging so badly when our eventual damsel in distress (and what distress!) is introduced, I was really not impressed yet.  Also, the male characters, excepting our titular monk, are pretty much cardboard cutouts.  Hard to keep track of them.  His women are so much more interesting.  And like I said, the phraseology, while interesting and not too archaic, is not well trimmed.  I don't expect it to be modern twenty-first century English, but it could be a bit pithier, in my opinion.  It wouldn't hurt to edit for speed and clarity.  But then The Monk was written over 200 years ago, so what can I hope for?

Another recollection comes to mind.  I recall reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King, and in the fore-material of that book, King describes how he first read Dracula as a kid.  He mentions in that preface that he had a relative - his mom I think - who would pronounce some reading matter as trash and insinuate that he shouldn't waste his time on it.  I bet this book may have been among that list.  The Monk certainly isn't great literature by any means.  But for making money, Lewis had the right idea.  Keep it smutty and thrilling. 

A Gothic novel is, by definition: "an English genre of fiction popular in the 18th to early 19th centuries, characterized by an atmosphere of mystery and horror and having a pseudomedieval setting."  Gothic novels have a certain appeal to me.  Must be my exposure to Dracula as a teenager.  / Source: novelnovice.com / "Gothic novel" definition taken from a Google search of the term.

The ultimate reason why I read The Monk was that I wanted to get a better appreciation for the Gothic horror tale and its roots, and I certainly accomplished that goal.  And the ending!  I won't intentionally spoil any but the smallest bit of this book, because even though it plods in places, and it is certainly brain candy cloaked in its auspices of eighteenth century language and custom, it is fun and still quite worth the read.  Especially the ending.  I didn't see the big reveal coming, though smarter minds than mine probably would.  I mean... ouch!  And then the melodramatic conclusion.  Great stuff.  Worth the time and effort, though often silly and sometimes painfully clunky in its pace.  And though couched in eighteenth century terminology, the fact is, The Monk has lots of violence and sexual content, so that's something to keep in mind (if such affects you).  And there is always the aforementioned threat of ravishing (and actual ravishing?  Read it yourself and find out!), which... well, let's just say that The Monk, despite the enjoyment it gave me, certainly ain't high art.  


 
Or read The Monk for free via the Kindle version!


The parting comment:




Organized religion has brought out some strange things in mankind throughout our sojourn on this little planet.  Thankfully, there's stuff like these scenes to remind a person not to take things too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but moderated. Thanks